Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Mid-life Crisis??

Not me, silly! I'm only 22.. that means a quarter-life crisis is around the corner. My 41 year old mother, however, may be having one. Honestly, it's a good thing, regardless. She's leaving her company, leaving retail management altogether. She's got an almost 10 year old, and a 5 year old at home, and works WAAAAY too hard for way too little. This company has belittled her, overlooked her, and generally shit on her for years. She has been with them since I was a baby, but about 2 years ago they told her "Sorry, the retirement package we offered you is now buh-bye!" She was passed for a new store, for a guy with less seniority and qualifications, because she "had a family at home to take care of". Isn't that discrimination?? And those are just the recent highlights! So anyway, we've been trying to convince her to either quit, or sue the crap out of them... but Mom is pretty passive, so she put up with it. Finally, she had a wake up call, and called me yesterday to tell me she is putting in her 2 weeks. She's going to work for a nursery (as in plants, not kids) for half the pay, but she'll be able to spend more time with my sister and brother. Good for her!!! I'm so proud, because this job was killing her. Yeah, they won't be able to take as many vacations to the Caribbean, but isn't that a great trade off? WTG Mom...