Thursday, March 17, 2005

Who needs a title

Happy St. Patrick's Day. I'm part Irish, but I really slack on celebrating this day, especially since I'm not a big drinker. After all, the American way to celebrate this Irish holiday is get wasted on green beer, but that's not my scene. Either way, Cori gave me a fun activity for the kids to do, and I think it's going to be a tradition. You place a chocolate gold coin at the bottom of a glass, and add a few drops of green food coloring. Scoop some ice cream on top, add a little milk, and let the kids stir it up. It "magically" turns green, and they find the coin from the leprechaun at the bottom. My kids don't really "get" the whole idea, but they couldn't have been happier with a green magic milkshake and candy at the bottom!

A totally different topic, but Cori and I were talking a few minutes about about step-dads, particularly those who step up to the plate. I have one, and he's been my dad since the beginning, he never thought twice about taking me on as his own child, even though I was 8 when my mom met him. Cori has one too, in a similar situation, and N's dad adopted him at 5. Nate has been Daddy to my kids since they were about 18 months old, and if you didn't know better you'd never guess they don't share biology. You probably know more than a few great dads out there, and at least a couple of them didn't have to step up like they did. Keep that in mind, there are so many deadbeats (both moms and dads), but we really need to focus our attention to those who are wonderful. So here's my thank you to my Daddy, and my husband, for loving your kids even if you didn't "have" to.

Hmmm... it's been kind of a boring week, and I haven't got much to talk about. Here's a little poll for you parents that celebrate Easter. How far in advance do you dye Easter eggs? Do you hide hard boiled eggs or plastic ones. Do you have any nifty traditions? This is the first year the kids are starting to show interest in the Easter Bunny activities, and we haven't yet decided how to do things. I'm having so much fun carrying on the "magic" part of the holidays, it's almost as good as believing in Santa and the EB!! So tell me, what do you do to make it special for your little ones?