Monday, May 16, 2005

Did you get that?

Ok, get ready to be confused. I live in Texas right now. I've lived here for over 3 years. I still have a Florida driver's license. See, when I moved here from Florida, Inever bothered to switch to a TX license, because I technically didn't have to. My home of record as far as the military was concerned was West Palm Beach, FL. After my divorce, I chose to stay in TX, and basically made TX my home. I still never bothered to switch my license, because TX charges crazy fees and they mail you your ID. It takes a couple weeks. In FL, you walk out same day with it. Last week, during our trip to Indiana, I lost my license. (Not my right to drive, the actual card) CRAP. This is an issue in a couple ways, first, the only ID I have that isn't expired is my OLD license with my maiden name. (Don't ask me why or how I have it, but I do.) My maiden name is not legally my name, it doesn't match my social security or credit cards. I'm moving to KS, but TX will be my new home of record. (Basically, I vote, pay taxes, and claim residency in TX as of last year) I don't have enough time to go to the TX DMV, and have them mail me a license with their insanely slow process. Next factor is my name. I haven't changed from my ex's last name to Nate's, because my ex screwed up my income tax return this year, and I wanted to wait to legally change my name until it was worked out. God knows we don't need to confuse the IRS any more than normal. It's worked out, and I was about to change my name legally. Do I pay for an ID, only to go to the social security office, change my name, and pay for another new damn ID? DAMN MY PROCRASTINATION ALL TO HELL! I'm in identity purgatory. What I can do is go to FL's DMV website, and order a new license, which I needed to renew in September anyway. $15 bucks. AND they mail it to me in less than a week. This is all sounding great right? We're slowly working towards a solution. Except... the FL DMV already knows my TX address, and since it's my mailing address they have to put it on my license. I got it in the mail today, I have a Florida driver's license with Texas address on it. Oh, and since I don't have a military ID, I have no way of proving the discrepancy is because I'm a military dependant. Nate said "You know if you get pulled over they're gonna arrest you until they can figure that whole mess out." Great, thanks hon!! Either way, I have my replacement ID. Oh, but the picture they used? It's from 4 years ago, and I look like a dude in drag for some reason. That hair style was just not a good idea, and I always look pissed in IDs. Probably because I had to stand in line with a bunch of non-English speaking people for 2 hours, just to get a replacement ID so I could go to the club that night. Ah, the life of a non-mommy. Anyway... now, I have to wait until I go to KS, go get my name changed on my social security card, and get a KS driver's license with my (newer) married name. Plus military ID. ***Sigh*** Can't anything be easy??

Edited: See the drag queen look first hand... yes, I'm really that bored tonight.



What'd I tell ya? I look like a pissed off dude!! WTF is that? That's only gonna add to the confusing should I get pulled over.