Friday, June 24, 2005

Why I should live in seclusion

I grew up with very few neighbors that weren't blood relatives. My great-grandparents gave chunks of adjacent land to my mom, uncle, and their cousins so everyone lives within walking distance of each other. The other neighbors are families that have lived there as long as our family, generations of friends, and mutual respect for the most part. This spoiled me, because I've discovered in my adult life that most people don't know how to be good neighbors. Military housing is an interesting beast, every military housing area is it's own soap opera. You know who is cheating, you know who drinks too much, you know pretty much exactly how much everyone makes, so you can tell when someone is racking up debt. There aren't too many secrets, just lots of gossip. Anyway, pretty much everyone on my street is ignorant, with the exception of one woman I've become friends with. I know, you're thinking "Damn, that's harsh, aren't you being a little critical?" Well no, I'll explain. My next door neighbor with whom I share a driveway is first up. Our houses aren't attached, but our carport is, and our doors face each other. Within hours of moving in, her boys started ringing our doorbell. "Can the kids come out? Can we come in? Do you have pets? Can we see them? Why can't we do this? How about now?" and so it goes. These boys are too old to play with my kids, they are 6 and 7. Their dad is in Iraq, and mom sits inside with her infant son, while the older boys run free all day. Minor irritation, right? It gets better. They ride their bikes in the very small space between our cars, inevitably hitting out van with handlebars and the such. Their toys creep from their property to our, often found littering our lawn, our porch, our driveway. They climb all over stuff, not to mention the time Mom came to ask Nate to fetch the middle boy from the top of a neighbor's tree. These are total pain in the ass kids, no matter how hard I try to like them. Then there is Mom. Besides completely ignoring the boys and their obnoxious behaviors, she expects everyone else to do everything for her, including watch, care for, and feed her children. Current aggrivation? Her grass. You have to have your lawn neatly cut and clean, or pay a ticket from housing. Her lawn looks abandoned, weeds knee high, it's just a mess. **Sigh** It looks so lovely.
My neighbors on the other side have teenage boys (among other kids, I can't keep track) who think my yard is a soccer field, my house the goal post, my property their playground. They have a fenced yard, not to mention the million playgrounds nearby, and the basketball court in their front drive. Across the street? One neighbor has 3 vehicles, 2 of which are old and junky. You can't park on their side of the street, but can easily fit 2, if not 3 cars in the driveway. Nope, both junky cars are parked outside my house. Thanks. The other neighbor seems like a nice family, but all hell breaks loose when mom and dad are at work, and the teen daughter entertains 3 teen boys, partying on the front porch.
Almost every family on our block seems to think teaching children respect for other's property is pointless, and have given their children the go ahead to act like wild chimpanzees. Things like criminal mischief, trespassing, and rudeness are commonplace to them. It's going to be a long summer, and I don't expect to attend too many block parties.