Thursday, August 11, 2005

A bit of explanation

I feel the need to "defend", for lack of a better word, my rant on a particular military blogger. Since many of my readers have military experience in one way or another, most of you can probably understand where I'm coming from. Let me say right now that I am NOT assuming the right to judge this soldier under the UCMJ, rather I'm simply pointing out the ways her writing could be construed under those laws. I do not judge this writer as a bad person, simply a lousy soldier, which is why I wrote my original post. To each his own, and I certainly do not expect anyone to change themselves based off my little opinions.

The military lives by different standards than civilians. Some people HATE it, and others, like me, adjust well. Even though I am not an enlisted soldier, I feel a certain pressure to handle myself in a manner becoming to a military spouse, because I reflect on my soldier and my family. Soldiers are bound by their own laws and justice system, and as you climb in rank the rules get tighter. Did you know that Officer's wives often have to attend "obedience school" to learn how to handle the unique stresses and situations that can arise? I mean, a General's wife can't be out acting a fool, its just unacceptable. Another part of being a spouse is protecting Operational Security (OPSEC). I cannot tell you the exact day my husband is leaving or coming home from a deployment, because it puts him and his fellow soldiers at risk. There are many situations where a misspoken word can cause major problems. As you can imagine this is even more important for the soldiers themselves.

A soldier is required to conduct themselves in a manner becoming to a US soldier at all times. While her venting in a public forum would actually fall under a general article (UCMJ Chapter X Article 134, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces), there are many offenses in the UCMJ that are outdated or rarely enforced. (Anyone remember my discussion on the regs against certain sexual acts??) I for one would not report such a behavior unless it was a clear break in OPSEC or other dangerous material. However, I do not support it. It is one thing to vent to your spouse, but a whole other to do it in a public forum.

These are the Army Values, the 7 values a soldier is sworn to uphold. You can decide for yourself whether they've been upheld or not. I encourage you to click the link, because it explains what these terms mean specifically to a soldier.

Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Selfless Service
Honor
Integrity
Personal Courage

So, I'll say again, I have no opinion on the writer as a person, this was never meant to be a personal attack. I have discussed in length with a friend (and military spouse) both sides of this issue, and ultimately I stand by my opinion. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the desert. If you are ill the Army will release you, if you cannot do the job you should not sign up, and when conducting yourself in public you should behave in a proper and respectful manner.

**edited: I went back today to do a bit more research, because I firmly believe I should research properly before arguing something, but I've been banned from her site. This is fine with me, although I have never commented on her site or banned her from mine, it's just a first. (Well, except the accidental banning by Busy Mom LOL!)