Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Homesick

Those of us who moved far from our hometowns know that home is where the heart is, but there are always things you miss about the place you were raised. We went to Nate's hometown in May, just before he re-enlisted. When he gets home from Iraq we're planning a trip to my hometown, (are you ready for this) he's never met my family before. So, I'd much prefer to go in the warm months, so we could go to the shore, and the festivals, and walk around Philly without freezing our asses off, but I'll settle for a winter trip if it means seeing my whole family, eating some good food, and showing N the things I hold dear from my childhood. So, I'm really excited, and feeling homesick just planning the trip. We're going to see my hometown, my family's business, the "Jersey Devil house" (if I can remember where it is and it's still there), the Franklin Institute, the Philadelphia Please Touch museum, maybe the Mummer's museum, Independance Hall, South Street, possibly a trip to NYC for the day, the Camden Aquarium (although I'm told they changed the name, probably because Camden is so damn scary), and some cheesesteaks, Tastykakes, and Wawa iced tea. Nate is really nervous about meeting my parents, although I don't know why, they're pretty cool people. I really can't wait to go, I haven't been since 2003, and that was for a funeral, so it'll be nice to take a relaxing trip. Anyone from the South Jersey area? Have any suggestions, things to see that I've forgotten (keeping in mind this will be very early springtime)? Where is your hometown? What are the things you would HAVE to do if showing someone around for the first time?