Monday, August 01, 2005

Mission: Cheap

I have an enemy, it's name is retail. I hate retail prices, it pains me to pay them, no matter how much money we have. Why? Well, why pay retail if I don't have to?! So, I loves me some thrift shops. I love yard sales too, although with gas prices, my aversion to mornings, and the fact that people start sales on Thursday here (WTF is that? Some people have stuff to do during the week!!) I haven't made it out in a long time. Anyway, there is a disabled veterans thrift store in town, and while most of it is junk, some of it older than me, there are good deals to be found. 3 gorgeous vases for 50 cents a piece. 2 plain leather belts for 25 cents a piece. 2 cute brown leather purses for 50 cents a piece, this one made me particularly happy since I can't even find purses I like in retail stores. Ask N, my purse shopping is a serious ordeal! Anyway, I digress... I like buying something cheap, and making it look great. Sometimes it's as easy as a dishwasher (for the vases), or a magic eraser (the greatest invention EVER), or maybe a little bit of leather cleaner, which I already have. Of course, buying cheap doesn't mean used. Hobby Lobby had HUGE sales in July, and I've decorated most of my house on just a couple hundred dollars. I'm talking art, beautiful frames, accent pieces, etc, they were all 50% or more off, and who can resist? A good deal makes me smile, and I could occupy a whole day just looking for that perfect piece at that perfect price. Some of my friends do not have the patience for it, or have just never tried. I'm trying to convert them to the wonders of being "frugal". I mean HELLO?! This purse
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
for 50 cents?! Who can resist? So spill, are you a retail gal, or a cheapskate chica? Do thrift stores and yard sales make you giddy, or grumpy? What's your best find?