Tuesday, October 18, 2005

To each his own

Ok, so Harriet Miers, new Supreme Court nominee, has some signifigant pro-life ties. Could this mean the end of Roe v. Wade? Democrats predicted this very scenario before Bush's second term, with 2 openings on the court he can easily stack towards right-wing conservative views. I have just one question for the right wing. Why do you feel everyone should live by your morals/standards/opinions? I am personally pro-choice, because I believe every person has the right to choose what they do with their body. I'm also pro-euthanasia when there are checks and balances, such as Oregon's current law. I'm for the right to modify one's body, the right to dress how one chooses, and to raise one's children as they choose. I don't have the right to tell anyone how to live, provided they are not harming anyone else. You may say "What about the fetus?" and my answer to that is it becomes a crim when the fetus is viable on it's own. What's that, approximately 23 to 24 weeks? I'm against late term abortions, with few exceptions. Ultimately, I just cannot understand why so many people want the whole country to live by their rules. Why can't we all just live and let live? If you don't approve, you don't need to participate. Do a little research on life before Roe v. Wade. There were tons of women dying because of backroom abortions, clothes hangars, herbal abortions, heading to Mexico to have the procedure. Outlawed abortion failed as miserably as prohibition, and a couple of decades can't change that. So, who are we to tell our neighbor how to live?