Friday, October 14, 2005

Weighing in

I just finished watching the full unedited video of the police beating in New Orleans. I wasn't planning on adding my two cents on this, but I'm just disgusted. The officers involved, including what appears to be plain-clothes officers, or possibly bouncers from a nearby club, beat the crap out of that poor man. You can hear some of the conversations going on, including when one officer grabbed and pushed the producer up against a car, and told him ranted about being down there for 6 weeks trying to keep people alive. Well, if the bars are re-opening, and people are coming back, that's a good sign. However, the NOPD is terribly shorthanded, since some of them turned tail and ran during Katrina. That's still NO excuse for beating a man on the streets, I'd like to think we haven't reached total anarchy down there yet. Now, before you say "But they were only doing their job, you don't know what it's like!!" I do. My dad is a police officer, riot trained, and I grew up surrounded by officers. I've heard their stories of arrest, drunken sports stars, belligerent drug addicts, the angriest of the angry, and at no point did they ever beat a man like that. There are non-violent weapons like Mace, and I venture to say most officers worth their salt can subdue a man without beating his head into a wall. You hear the victim submitting, while they keep pummelling. I have no doubt these officers are under a lot of stress, but that isn't the public's fault. I'm just beyond appalled, and sad. The actions ofa few always reflect on the group as a whole, and this incident undoubtedly tarnished the reputations of well-trained, responsible police officers everywhere.