Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Shut it, lady!!!!

Every once in a while I encounter a person who decides they don't approve of my parenting. I'm not perfect. Are you? If you are, please come teach me. Still, in my non-perfection, I do the best I can for my kids. I don't beat them, I don't neglect them, I don't let them run wild. See, this is a no-win situation. If someone sees a child running around like a maniac, hitting, screaming, being a little terror, they think "Why doesn't that parent control their child?!" Tongues cluck, heads shake, and a parent is judged. Situation B, a stranger sees a parent spank an unruly child, and the stranger assumes the child is abused. There is no outcome that prevents a parent from being judged in the face of a public tantrum. I come from the "old" thinking, I'm not going to ask little Timmy why he feels so frustrated that he must throw things and kick me. I think a child should behave properly, and having a heart to heart in the bread aisle isn't going to get that done. My children are well behaved by most standards, but are NOT angels, and have their tantrums. Sometimes it's one child at a time, sometimes it's both, you just never know. Today was Shane's day. My friend Yeida picked us up to do some shopping. Shane unbuckled his carseat on the highway, something he sometimes does, but is NOT acceptable. I threatened to have Yeida pull over, and when he felt the car decelerate he promptly put his belt back on. Still, he pushed every limit, tested every rule, and by the time we got to the store he was nearly unbearable. Still, the show must go on, I am not in my van, and Yeida and I had to pick up some things. We bought the kids some chips to keep them happy, and Yeida's daughter, and Maddie were both fine. Shane was less than well-behaved. After 20 minutes or so, we were ready to check out, and I had spent the previous 20 minutes reprimanding my unruly son. Finally, as I paid for my items, I lost it, and told him I was taking him to Daddy at work, and Daddy would have his ass for not listening to me. An empty threat of frustration, but the WRONG thing to do at that time was shake your head. The lady nearby shook her head, and looked me in the eye, as if saying "So pathetic". Shane continued to flail and cry, trying to climb out of the cart and throw himself down. I said "Shane JACOB! I have had it!! Why is it I've been yelling at you since we got here? Why won't you BEHAVE?!" Aforementioned lady says "Well that's why! You keep yelling!" Oh, I flipped out. I told the lady I would raise these twins however I damn well pleased. Did SHE give birth to them? Did I ask HER opinion on parenting? Don't think so, asshole!! Yeida and I walked out the door, and the cashier came out after me and thanked me for saying something to that woman. In the car Yeida told me she was silently praying for the woman to keep it to herself, because she knew I'd tear her to bits. Of course, she was right, because if there is one thing I hate it's self-rightous people. So, if you see that woman flipping out with her tantruming child? Maybe you should give her a knowing smile, or a helping hand, but for the love of Dr. Spock, don't criticize. Especially if you live in a state where concealed weapons are legal. I'm just sayin'...