Friday, November 18, 2005

Why Insurance Companies Suck

In general, we're very lucky to have our insurance. We don't pay anything for most situations, no premiums, etc. However, I have to be seen by a post doc, or get authorization to go off post. Well, I need to be seen ASAP, it's not an EMERGENCY situation (life, limb, eyesight, or unbearable pain), but it is pretty urgent**, at least to me. Here's the TMI, I've broken out with some cystic acne, and the left side of my face is swollen like a balloon. It's all fun and games until somebody's face blows up! So, I call for an appointment, nothing on the schedule for my preferred provider, I'll take first available. Oh, that's 10 days from now. FUN! No "same day" appointments (read: "urgent care") available either. Well, this is not good. I'm told by patient appointments to either call back Monday to see if there are any cancellations, or go to the ER. Do I REALLY want to go to the ER over some acne? No. Do I really want to deal with another 10 days of pain and swelling on my face? No. This is humiliating enough (and yet, here I am blogging about it!!) I am not very happy. I call TriCare for some suggestions on what to do, and after talking to an idiot for 10 minutes, I'm no better off. Let's see, the advice she gave me.
*I don't know what your question is.
*Since your doctor is no longer there, you have to call Patient Advocate for a referral off post. (My doc IS here, there are just NO appointments in ANY of our clinics) Oh. Nevermind.
*Go to an urgent care facility (Where can I find one I am allowed to go to?) I don't know, I'm in Colorado
*Go to the ER. (Even though it's not REALLY an emergency?) Well, no.
*Call for a referral to an offpost provider. (How long does that take?) I don't know, just let them know your doctor is no longer here and you need a referral. (Didn't we just have this conversation? My doctor IS here. Even still, I'd see ANY doc who can see me. I JUST CANNOT GET AN APPOINTMENT!
*Well, go to an Urgent Care or the ER. (Um, thanks. You've been a great help)

So, I guess I've got to decide if I want to go to the ER for a giganormous zit that has fucked up my whole face, or throw a bag over my head and hope for the best until after Thanksgiving. I'll probably go into the ER and beg for a cortisone shot, and some Xanax. I hate military healthcare.

**I'd like to go on record saying I'm not being a priss here. I have suffered through some horrible and humiliating breakouts, continuing with school, work, and life in general. However, this is particularly ouchie and the whole swollen face/lymph nodes thing sucks.