Thursday, December 22, 2005

Magical Christmas

Kim posted a story about how INSANE her parents are, and the great lengths they went to to keep the magic of Santa alive. Her story blows mine out of the water, so be sure to go read it.
Growing up, my mom and I lived in an apartment above my grandparents' house. We obviously did not have a chimney, so I remember questioning how Santa would get in. Mom explained that Santa knew we didn't have a chimney, so she left the front door unlocked, with a note for him to come in. (We lived in the country, locking doors was not common anyway) Ok, I'll buy that for a dollar, but mom decided to take it one step further. We had a very evil cat, he usually slept on my pillow (and bit my head when I moved) but he would often get up to prowl the living room and destroy whatever he can find. On Christmas Eve, mom sprinkled glitter and cookie crumbs on the stairs, and some puffs of cotton in the living room. I awoke on Christmas morning to find the mess, and wonder what happened to Santa. My mom explained that Santa must have startled Blackie (our cat, he was solid black, and I named him when I was 5. Cut me a break.) must have startled Santa, and scratched his suit, leaving some of the fluffly cotton from his cuffs behind. He left in such a hurry he was eating his cookies on the way out the door.
I ate it up, because mom's word was gospel, but looking back, my mom is a horrible liar! I can't wait to see the sparkle in my childrens' eyes when the magic fills their hearts, I hope that we can make each Christmas as special as my mom did.