Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A matter of opinion

We found out something this weekend that has really been on my mind. I'm interested in your opinions, especially those of you who are or have been divorced.

A friend's ex-wife has custody of their 2 year old son, and lives many states away. She's been dating a convicted sex offender, and has introduced him to her son. Our friend is obviously horrified by this, and very concerned for his child. Now, I know it mentions sex offenders in my divorce decree, to the effect of the parent must notify the other parent if they marry or live with a convicted offender. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply for dating one. I asked our friend what this guy was convicted of, because that can make a difference. Some convicted and registered offenders are "Romeo and Juliet" offenders, an 18 year old dating a 16 year old, or whatever. Not this guy, he was convicted of molesting a child(ren). Whoa. Now, as a mother, I can't imagine dating someone that I knew molested children. What could she be thinking?? I told our friend he needs to take her to court, and gain custody of his son, now!! This is just appalling!

Now for the opinion part. Do you think this situation should be covered by a divorce/custody agreement? Do you think it should be permitted, an adult should be allowed to date whomever they want? Should it be an automatic cause for loss of custody? Personally, I think we have a hard enough time protecting our children from those we don't know are molesters, why in the hell would we invite one into our lives? What happens if this child is harmed by this sick fucker? Nothing can erase that! And even if I were single and childless, I don't think I could get into bed with someone who likes to touch children. That's a special kind of sicko, and I'd want no part of it! Ok, go ahead... sound off.