Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The new holes...

I went with a curved barbell, I thought 2 hoops would look dumb. So, the piercing is done, and I'm IN LOVE! It was a lot more like getting my ears pierced than the other piercings I've had, I'm in little pain, I'm hoping it will heal easily. there is risk of swelling, and a black eye, but so far so good.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Now, let's talk body mod. I always assumed it was customary to tip your artist, just as you'd tip the manicurist, hairdresser, and even the gy who opens your overpriced beers at the bar. When I tipped John (who is the BEST piercer I've had yet, BY FAR!!! I doubt I'll allow anyone else to pierce me, should I get the urge to do it again, because he's FABULOUS!) tonight, he seemed shocked, and I asked if it was uncommon to recieve a tip. Surprisingly enough, he and another employee both said it was. Listen... these people are ARTISTS. While body mod can be expensive at times, they have to pay out a lot of money to do your artwork. What makes your hairdresser any more deserving of a tip than a body mod artist?? I've worked in service industries (waiting tables, bartending, etc), so I'm big on tipping anyway, but to not tip your piercer or tat artist is retarded. I tip them better than most (25-30% vs 18-20%), because what they are doing is permanent, and I appreciate them taking the time to do their best, make sure I heal properly, and deal with any neurotic questions I may have. I mean, really... I'm dumbfounded. Since friends of our own a shop in TX, I asked N if it was common for people to not tip, and even he was surprised to hear that... I mean everyone gets stiffed from time to time, but it's just a custom to tip!! WTF?? Any thoughts from artists or people into body mod?

**sidenote** I think I'm going to take Glenda's advice, and have a second one put in once this one heals. I don't want my face to well up like a balloon, so it's one at a time, but I think it'll look cool!!