Thursday, June 01, 2006

Dropping the ball

I'm apparently not making the transition from Mommy to babies/toddlers to Mommy to preschoolers very well. Ugh!! So, today is the last day of preschool before the kids' birthday on Saturday. I had offered to bring in cupcakes to celebrate. Ok, the only rule was NO CHOCOLATE, because apparently some of the kids freak out with chocolate. (This is the teacher's explanation, not mine!!) So, normally I'd pull a Martha Stewart, and whip up some cupcakes, but I just didn't have it in me to make cupcakes for 30 kids this week. I went to Dillon's bought vanilla cupcakes, and had them back at the school at 2:10, thinking snacktime is 2:15. Then I notice everyone is still outside, so I talk to the head teacher, she told me where to put the cupcakes, and walked off to do something. I check the posted schedule, see snack time is 2:45, figure I'll run home, finish some chores, and come back. Well, the schedule is old, and snacktime was 2:15, so I missed the cupcake celebration. :( I felt REALLY bad! So, I went to say hi to the kids, when Shane informed me "Mommy, I'm FOUR now!!" His teacher and I tried to explain that he wouldn't be 4 until Saturday (trust me kid, I was there!!) but he's certain that having cupcakes means he's now 4. Ok!! I snap a couple pictures of my kids, a little girl asks if she can be in the picture, and I have to tell her no, because school rules only allow you to take pictures of your own children. Again, feeling like crappy mom of the day! I'll post the picture of Shane and Madison holding up 4 fingers later today. This year they are REALLY excited about their birthday, I think it's the first time I think they really "get it". So, hopefully I pull off the small celebration we're having for them on Saturday with a little more finesse. In the meantime, I have about 1 hour before I go pick up my sugar-high birthday kids!