Sunday, July 23, 2006

Dr. Phil

I don't normally get to watch any adult TV during the day, it's almost exclusively Nick Jr and Noggin in this house. However, tomorrows Dr. Phil show confronts an abusive boyf/husband (not sure if they are married or not) and the preview shows Dr. Phil getting up in the guy's face, asking him if it's intimidating to have someone bigger than you pushing you around. Of the few shows I've seen, I've grown to love Dr. Phil for his honesty, and I think this is one show everyone should see. I've been in a couple abusive relationships, I know what it does to you when you are constantly bullied and hurt by someone who is supposed to love you. Maybe if more abusers would get a reality check like Dr. Phil is dishing out to this punk, they could break the cycle, or at least the abused party would get out sooner. Some never make it out, and those of us that do usually wait way too long. Domestic violence is not something that should get a second chance, and no one should have to live in fear in their own home. I've been part of a few discussions where someone knows a neighbor or friend is being abused, but did nothing to step in out of fear of retaliation. If you suspect abuse, DO SOMETHING. I had my neighbors tell me after the fact that they used to hear us fighting, and were afraid to get involved. We shared a duplex, a simple anonymous call to the cops may have saved me a lot of pain and suffering. We've become so scared to do the right thing, because of the possible reprecussions that many people go against their instincts, and turn their heads to things they know are wrong. Don't... you may save someone's life, and if it were you, you would want someone to help, right?