Saturday, February 10, 2007

We Were Soldiers... Once and Young

I had watched "We Were Soldiers" shortly before my first husband was deployed to Iraq with the 4th Infantry Division at the beginning of the Iraq conflict/war/disaster-in-the-making. I remember crying my eyes out, thinking about what our soldiers faced heading into this hellish battle, in a country that resents our presence, and praying to every god in the universe that I wouldn't have to bury anyone I cared about. Over the past 4 years, I've done this more times than I can count, and rarely have I had to lay a friend to rest. I've been lucky. Why am I bringing this up? Because once again, my friends have departed for the middle east, and I'm watching that same movie, praying that each of them make it home safe. For the first time, I wish I was going with them, I wish I was fighting along side them, because at least if I were there I wouldn't be sitting here feeling helpless. Miss you guys, I can't wait to be buying rounds at Porter's next year. Be safe.