Sunday, October 31, 2004

We Survived!!!!

Well, we made it through the weekend, and no one is worse for the wear. (At least not in my house, but I'm willing to bet there are a few of our friends who were not so lucky!!) My kids enjoyed trick-or-treating, they actually "got it" for the first time this year, and WOW it's a cool concept to them!!! I mean, in their eyes, they got to wear strange clothing, and carry a magical bag. You see, they took this magic bag, opened it up to other people wearing strange clothing, and the people gave them stuff!! All they had to do was say "Thank you", and head off to the next strangely dressed person for some more!! Of course, my daughter (being the brilliant little girl that she is) realized that these people thought she was particularly cute, and decided she would bat her eyelashes to get them to give up more cool stuff. Every few stops she would get her candy, close the bag, open it up again, and look as cute as possible. This almost invariably resulted in an "Awww!!" and some more candy for her. I tried hard to reprimand her for doing this, because I had seen so many older kids acting horribly rude, and do not want mine to act like that as they grow older, but who am I to compete with the cherubic face of this little diva?? Seeing this, N and I decided she will be the one who makes all the boys fall all over themselves for her in school. We all knew a girl like that... if she needed something she could just pout her lip a bit, and have every boy in the class at her beck and call. Well look out class of 2020... because we've created a monster!
My son also had a blast, and was surprisingly brave considering he is usually a bit of a scaredy cat. He sat on a monster's lap, didn't flinch at the ghouls and goblins, and the only tears shed were when N and I left the sitter's house for our party. He is a "people person", says "HI!!" to just about anyone he sees, so he must have felt like a celebrity with all the attention he got. It's just too awesome to see the world through their eyes!
Later in our Halloween adventure, we attended our party. "What happens in the grotto stays in the grotto", but we had a great time. The morning came without a hangover, which is always a good thing! One observation... drinking a macchiato on a day you plan to drink alcohol is never a good idea. Consider it a lesson in dehydration I will share with you in order to spare you the experience.
To end our weekend, we visited Opa (N's dad), who gave the kids gumballs. They're 2. They don't get the concept of gum. My boy can't understand why you would want to put something in your mouth and NOT swallow it. We tried to explain the idea, then we took the gum away. So I want to thank their Opa for making us into the bad guys. I *think* this is payback for all the evil things N did as a child. (My parents get their payback in loud toys... Thanks Mom and Dad!!!) *SIGH* Considering N's childhood nickname was White Tornado, I think I'm in for a LOT of payback from Oma and Opa!!!
So, we did indeed survive the weekend, and life will not return to it's regularly programmed insanity. Tomorrow's lesson will explain my theory: (2 kids + sugar) - Daddy= Mom needs a Valium!!!