Thursday, December 09, 2004

How cool is this?

Something very cool is happening this week. My 60-something grandmom is graduating from college with her BA. Personally, I think this is one of the coolest things ever, because she spent most of her life as a homemaker, and after a divorce she got a CDL, has been working for Palm Beach County's bus system for quite a few years now, and going to school at Palm Beach Atlantic University in her spare time. She has plans to get her Master's, if for no other reason than to say she did it. You see, my grandmom is really important to me, I'd dare say I'm closer to her than I am to my own mother. She took me in when I was being a punk ass teen, and has always supported me, even when everyone else had written me off. She's really one of the coolest people I know, even though most people think she's pretty crazy. (She'll speak her mind regardless, it doesn't always go over well with some people!) She struggles with depression, and has a serious weight problem, but she doesn't give up. That really takes courage, especially when you have been through the things she has. So today's post is dedicated to my Grandmom Dianne... rock on... I knew you could do it! I really wish I could be there, I can't wait to see you again!