Sunday, January 02, 2005

The mind of Shane

I've got a weird son, though this is not surprising to those who know me best. So I'll share with you the weird things my son does... he can share these stories with his therapist later in life.

He loves to poop. LOVES IT!! He has to sit down and poop every time he goes to the potty. There are at least 2 occasions each day where I have to pull him kicking and screaming off the toilet, because he sits there and yells through the door "I potty!!" For the love of God, son... you don't need to go THAT much!!

He's obsessive about cleaning, and I swear this is not my fault. He will pick things up off the carpet, perhaps a crumb or tiny piece of fuzz, and shove it in my face saying "Mommy! MOMMY!" until I tell him "Well, go throw it away!" Then he wants a "five" or a hug for doing such a wonderful job. If I ask him to throw something out for me, he THANKS me for handing him this wonderful task. Drips some juice on the floor?? "Mommy MESS!!!" over and over until I wipe it up. Mr. Clean has taken over my 2 year old.

He's currently obsessed with one of the tables lamps in the living room. He and N are having a battle of wills about this one light being on. Shane must have it on, N wants it off. I am the ref. Wonderful.

He's equally obsessed with turning light switches on and off. And telling me about it.

Then, out of nowhere tonight, I hear him calling for me from his bed. We had bought them Build-A-Bears for potty training, and they are wearing little tee shirts and undies. Well, Shane is always taking off his bear's shorts, and I think I figured out why. It was dark in the room, since it is after bed time, and he was saying "pants!!" so I turned on the light to see if he had an accident. Nope... he had put his bear's shorts on up to his thighs, and then tried to take off his own underwear. This resulted in him getting stuck, and needing my help.

So I'm left to wonder... where does my son get these odd ideas and tendencies?? Why does he act so strange?? Really though, he's also so loving and sweet... he is affectionate and silly, and all around cute. Even if he *is* a weirdo!!