Sunday, February 06, 2005

Dress the damn statue already

The Philly Curse lives. There were a few moments during tonights Super Bowl game that I thought I'd have to eat crow. Genuine called Philly as Super Bowl champs a few weeks back, and I nixed it, because anyone who lived in the Deleware Valley knows Philly teams choke. I'm not a football fan, but damn I wanted to see the Eagles win tonight. Do you know how long it's been since ANY Philly team won a championship?? 1982-83 season, the 76ers. I was in utero during that game. We've been to plenty of championship/playoff games since, but never all the way. I am a big Sixers fan, I cried when they lost to the Lakers a few years back. We all knew it would happen, and were pleased that Philly at least kept the Lakers from sweeping the playoffs, but it was still a huge loss. A couple years before that, the City of Philadelphia stopped their tradition of dressing up the Billy Penn statue with the appropriate gear when one of the tems was in the playoffs. It was said to be a jinx, and the tradition died. So I'm hoping they will re-instate that tradition now, since time has shown it didn't make a difference. The fans love it, so bring us a little joy here! The Eagles played a great game tonight, but the Pats made less mistakes, and now go home champs. Bah!! Who needs a dynasty, Philly just needs a freaking win! (And yes, I know there are other cities who have not won in forever, but this is my hometown!) Better luck next year... now let's go Sixers!!