Saturday, March 26, 2005

Silence!!

I wanted the kids to talk, waited so impatiently for those first words. Then, when they weren't talking as much as other children their age I freaked out. After they turned 2, I had Shane evaluated for speech delay, and he was borderline, but began improving at 30 months or so, just after my divorce was finalized. Since then he has made vast improvements, and has recently begun naming everything in sight. "Wed, Mommy! Geen, Mommy! Puppy, Mommy! Juice, Mommy! Boo, Mommy! Puhple, Mommy! WAIN!!! Wain, Mommy! Funder!", you get the idea. It is non-stop, and he will repeat the word to you until you acknowledge him and say it back to him. This makes it had when I cannot understand him, and I try to respond with a "Yeah, Booboo... Good job!!" rather than parroting whatever he's trying to say. No, that's unacceptable, you must repeat after Shane. Now. My entire day is filled with the words I so desperately longed to hear, his sweet little voice making intelligent noises rather than grunts. Now, I can't make it stop! A "Please be quiet, Daddy's on the phone." is followed by "Daddy phone? Mommy! Daddy phone! Shhhh!" and my point is lost on him. Then, it's immediately back to labeling every object, creature, and event in Central TX, on a continuous loop. Need. Valium. NOW! File this under "Be careful what you wish for!" If you call my house, don't be surprised if I don't answer, I've stuffed my ears with tar for a moment's peace.