Friday, April 29, 2005

Horror in Suburbia

I saw this on TV while out to lunch with my family today, but couldn't hear it at the time. After reading the article, I feel ill, literally feeling like I need to vomit. I cannot possibly understand what would make someone do this, let alone to her own children. Each child was stabbed more than 200 times. She stabbed her 9 year old and 3 year old in separate rooms, more than 200 times each. Wrap your mind around that for a second. You can't, can you?! Fucking unbelievable. I cannot muster any sympathy for this woman, regardless of the circumstances. It takes an especially cruel, sadistic person to inflict so many stab wounds on someone, let alone a child. This methodical murder deserves the most horrible and painful punishment imaginable, and it's stories like this that make me sad our nation is protected from "cruel and unusual punishment". After all, who protected those babies from cruel and unusual punishment? And if she comes back with the "post-partum psychosis" excuse I don't buy it. I've suffered through lots of depression and more than a few suicidal thoughts, but even at my lowest lows I made sure my children were safe. I almost handed them over to their out-of-state grandparents at one point, for fear I couldn't take proper care of them, but I could never have hurt them. That's instinct, to make sure your babies are cared for. It's unforgivable to hurt them, and I hope this woman rots in the deepest pits of hell for her crimes.