Saturday, April 02, 2005

Let's Make a Deal!!

I've already demonstrated time and again how neurotic I am. It's no secret, I don't even try to hide it anymore. However, I cannot possibly be the only person who has this little quirk. You see, I make deals with myself in order to be productive. You know how mom used to say "If you get all As on this report card, we can go to *insert fun thing here*."? Well, I make those deals with myself. For example, every night I put the kids in bed, and start negotiating in my mind. "I can go online only after I do X, Y, and Z." Otherwise, I'd never get a damn thing done around here. Sometimes, when there are a bunch of things that need to be done, my mind will sound like contract negotiations before a strike.
Mental conversation:
"The floors are a mess, there's laundry in the washer and dryer, we need to discuss those dishes, and for Pete's sake let's find some agreeable terms about those bathrooms!"

"Ok, vacuuming done immediately, household ordinance requires that be completed before the kids are asleep. The dishes are non-negotiable, we don't go to bed with dishes in the sink. I guess we can handle the kitchen floors at a later date, and we'll compromise on the laundry under the condition that the bathrooms are handled now."

"Ok, vacuum, then put the dry laundry on the bed, wet stuff in the dryer. Then bathrooms, and you can have your break time. However, it' is required that both loads of laundry are folded and put away before bed. Deal?"

It's a sad little method, and could probably be handled with medication, but it works for me. Next on the agenda is filing papers, I might actually have to strike over that issue. Where's my damn picket sign?