Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The men had two eggs!

I've talked before about the intelligent conversations about biology that people engage in with parents of multiples. Today, while getting the kids' portraits taken, the "photographer" enlightened me on the human reproductive system's abilities. You see, I'd been under the impression that dizygotic (fraternal) multiples resulted from hyperovulation (more than one egg released) and then the eggs are fertilized by sperm. The resulting conclusion would then be that fraternals are a result of a genetic response on the female side, since females ovulate. In other words, the father cannot "cause" a fraternal multiple pregnancy. Color me stupid, I was wrong. According to the photographer/biologist fraternals can be carried on both sides, men can hyperovulate. As a matter of fact, when asking me if twins ran on N's side of the family (she was unaware that he was not their biological father) she told me "Men can have two eggs, too!" I must have slept through freshman biology, because I had it all wrong. Maybe I can get some eggs from that rooster outside for breakfast tomorrow.