Friday, April 15, 2005

PSA

I am decent speller. Not perfect by any means, there are often common words that I just cannot seem to spell, but I blame it on Mommybrain and ask someone. (Usually Cori, because she's one smart cookie! Mmm... cookies...) Anyway, there are a couple of things that I see online ALL the time, so here's a quick PSA for those of you who need it.
"Loose" means "not snug".
Ex: "That bolt is loose, can you hand me a wrench?"
I'm pretty sure "looser" is not a word, and I'm very sure "loosing" is not.
"Lose" is the opposite of "gain" or "win". Therefore "losing" is the opposite of "gaining" or "winning".
You are not "loosing" your marbles when your sanity is waning. Your team did not "loose" the game. Got it?
Ok, great. Next, we'll address the "their, there, they're" thing.
"Their" is "belonging to them".
Ex: "Their house is gorgeous!"
"There" is a place.
Ex: "Call me when you get there."
"They're" is "they are".
Ex: "I cannot wait until the kids go to bed, they're driving me nuts!"
Please take notes, this is basic English! I can overlook most things, just as I'd hope you'll overlook the sometimes poor punctuation in my writing, but I'm feeling particularly snarky tonight, so I had to address those issues. Ok, class dismissed!