Tuesday, August 23, 2005

All domesticated and shit

I was putting on some shoes to go outside and smoke (Yes, Tish! I know I need to QUIT!! Love ya!!) and noticed something unusual. N's boots were yucky and dirty, not shined for work tomorrow. He's usually on top of such things, but has been feeling stressed lately, so maybe he forgot, or just doesn't care tonight. Either way, I want him to have nice shiny boots for the morning, so what's a gal to do? I decided to shine them myself. I've never shined boots before, and usually have him shine mine if they are looking a bit scuffed. Either way, I've seen him do it enough times to be able to figure it out, right? I mean how hard can this be?! Well, it wasn't very hard, but only god knows if I did it right or not. N will undoubtedly be grateful simply because I put in the effort, and he's appreciative like that. He is way too sweet to tell me if I totally screwed the pooch in my attempt, he'd rather grin and bear it than hurt my feelings. Still, they look better than they did.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Why am I babble-assing about shoe polish and the such? Well, one, because I can, and two, because I'm a total domestic. I love all things household, like crafts, and baking, and ironing my husband's uniforms. It's so un-pc to say that, but I do. I enjoy making my home and family look good. I was talking to Cori, and of course, this is one more thing we have in common. We're both in our 20s, yet we do "grandma" things like crochet and sew, and we could totally see ourselves in a 50's housewife role. I wasn't raised in a traditional household, I'm the child of a single mother, and later a blended family, step-dad and "half" siblings. I come from strong, self-sufficient women, but most of us have that Suzy homemaker side. My Aunt Susan taught me how to make pies (I need a refresher course next time I visit, as I've given up on my crusts), my Grammy taught me to make all kinds of cookies. I first learned to use a sewing machine on an old table model that my great-grandmom had. Now don't get me wrong, I don't serve my family like their butler and maid, and N will argue with me to no end about how it's not my JOB to iron his uniform, but when it's all said and done, it makes me happy. I'd like to think I've found the balance between equality and housewife, the balance of roles in a home. Perhaps it's because I am the "head" of some important areas (ie: finances), and not just the "little wife", that I can take pleasure in my homemaker role. In the opposite corner, my husband feels it is his duty to provide for our family, but if I'd LIKE to work, go to school, whatever, that is my option. We don't force roles on each other, and we split the ones no one wants. So, are you an independant wonder woman, or a domestic diva? Are you happy with your role, or would you love to switch places? What makes your hosuehold work? (sidenote to single parents: you take on ALL responsibility, and having been in your shoes, I tip my hat to you!!)