Tuesday, October 25, 2005

That's the way the cookie crumbles **UPDATED**

We have a little joke around here about Nate's ability t make cookies. I make some kick ass cookies, and my wonderful husband has tried many times to make some of his own. Unfortunately, they don't ever come out right. Usually, the dough is crumbly and dry, and until now I could never figure out why. I was out running errands when Jake decided he wanted to make chocolate chip cookies. N told him to wait until I got home, not trusting his baking abilities. Well, I told the boys I didn't feel like it, but they could go ahead and give it their best shot. Jake asked how many tbsp make a cup, referring to the butter. I told him to look on the package, and he said, "A whole stick?" I told him he needed TWO whole sticks. At this point, N tells me that's why his cookies suck, he'd only been using one stick. Aha!! A good laugh all around, and we go check on Jake's progress in the kitchen. All of a sudden I realize he's put ALL the ingredients in a bowl, but hasn't used the mixer yet. Why I point this out, he looks at the recipe, and realizes his error. Nate asks me if I can fix it. Um, no... not unless I have a magic wand that separates everything again. So, they're mixing up a big bowl of ingredients, and hoping for the best. I totally give them an "A" for effort, although their recipe reading skills are much lacking. I'll let you know how they turn out.

**I'm happy to report the cookies came out fine. Pass the milk, please?