Tuesday, October 25, 2005

More childhood mishaps

Vacuum Watch status: Not vacuuming, moved on to washing driveway. 4:15pm CST

So, continuing with my theme of childhood mishaps today, I'll share another story of un-common sense at my mom's store. My mom met my dad while working at the store, he's a police officer in the same town and would frequently stop in. They started dating when I was 7 or so, but my mom already knew quite a few of the officers in the town. Well, behind the registers there is a button for emergencies, you can push it and a silent alarm goes out to the police. You can probably see where this was going. I knew the button was not to be pushed, but sometimes I would help put things away behind the registers, bag items when it was slow, etc. I'd see that button, and it would almost call to me. I just wanted to see what would happen, who can resist pushing a button that you aren't supposed to touch? Well, one little push won't hurt anything right? I won't even push it, I'll just touch it. It's recessed into the counter, I'll just stick my little fingers in there and see what it feels like. Oh, just a regular old button, I feel better, I got to touch it and nothing exploded or anything. Right?? No harm done!! Um, approximately 30 seconds later there were quite a few police officers standing outside with weapons drawn, yelling in to my mom, asking if everything is ok. Uh, oh... I'm probably in a lot of trouble. Well, it was explained, I'm sure there were a couple chuckles over this, and life went on. I can't even remember if I was punished, I'm SURE I was for such a lame-brained idea, but I do know my mom was thoroughly embarrassed. I was too, of course. And I never touched that button again.

**If I can get my husband to give me the OK, I'll blog his most infamous childhood mishap. It's way better than mine, certainly a lesson he only had to learn once.