Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Bummer

In case you haven't already noticed, today is a multi-post kind of day. I'm thinking that as the weather gets colder, and the snow gets deeper, you'll see more of me around, because there is only so much one can do indoors. Besides, I need some excuse to not clean my house, it's haunting me, but I can't seem to muster up enough drive to get scrubbing.

Now for the regularly scheduled programming. I might have mentioned before how military healthcare sucks the big one. Still, every once in a while you find a "diamond in the rough", a doctor who takes excellent care to a new level. I had found that with a Colonel here, he's a nurse practitioner who actually took the time to listen, treat, and problem solve with me. I called to make a follow up for my Happy Pills (take that, Tom CrazyCruise!) and found out he has taken over the administration of Clinic 1 (he had mentioned that last time I saw him). This means he has very few actual appointments, but he had conveyed his ideas for bettering the health clinics for our families, and I think he's going to really make a difference as head of the clinic. So, I requested an appointment with another practitioner in Clinic 1, even though it is not my "assigned" clinic, because I think I'm better off sticking with someone who is operating under his instruction. It's all too rare to find quality healthcare in the US, and even more so in the military health system (they are exempt from malpractice suits, making it appealling for lower quality civilian docs to work for the military hospitals). So, here's hoping the practitioner I see is as wonderful as my (self-admitted) former hippie Colonel, and practices the same type of "Mind, body, spirit" medicine. I really hope we as Americans find a better system for taking care of our citizens, where quality care is affordable for all, and doctors don't have to go bankrupt treating everyone. Wouldn't that be nice?