Friday, June 23, 2006

Credit

I pulled my credit report today, because we're planning on buying a house next year, and want to clean up as many blemishes as possible before then. Imagine my surprise to find a delinquent account for an electric company I've never had. This is one of the major companies in TX, however I always had TXU when living in TX, so I disputed it through the reporting agency, and called the creditor. When I explained that I had never had an account with them, she asked for my TX address. The address she gave me as the service address is a couple hours away from ANYWHERE I lived in TX! UGH!!!! So, I'm like "What do I do to prove this wasn't mine, and that I didn't live there?" Of course, she said the reporting agency would dispute it (no shit, Sherlock, I know that!), and they would figure it out from there, but that takes 30 days, and they (electric company) could still say "Yeah, it belongs to her, it stays on the report." Meanwhile, I'm like "Ok, I have supporting documents to show I lived in a different town at the time, WTF?" So, I'm waiting for someone to return my call, although I'm not sure WHY because I was speaking to the fraud department to begin with, but this is more of a pain in the ass than I need on a Friday. Today's lesson?? Check your credit report.