Thursday, June 22, 2006

Total Bullshit

We've been here at Fort Riley for 13 months now, and today was the FIRST FRG (Family Readiness Group) meeting since I've been here. Now, the FRG is set up to keep spouses informed, and have a "chain of concern" for spouses to use when they need assistance from the unit. I was very active in my FRG at Fort Hood, it was a well organized, and active group. Usually the Captain's wife is the head of the group, and I was very close to mine. However, when I got to Riley, not a SINGLE person from the FRG called to welcome us here, to inform us of anything going on, etc. A couple months later, when N came down on orders for Iraq (they were cancelled 5 days before his flight), still no one contacted me, this is when the FRG is supposed to stand up and be there for the families. Now, the unit is disbanding, basically they will no longer exist by the end of next year, and between now and then everyone is either leaving or consolidating. So, today there was a MANDATORY meeting. I signed in, spent 20 minutes (it was a 2 hour meeting), and left. It made my blood boil to hear the LTC speak of keeping the same FRG contacts we already "know", such as N's CPT's wife. Well, I don't know who knows these people, but I have only met this woman twice, and both times were at a Baby Gym that we both happened to take our kids to. This unit has been a disgrace to their families, very few social events, no regular updates for the family members, hell the soldiers don't even know what's going on half the time. Where have these people been for the last year+, and why NOW are we being required to attend these meetings?? Just total bullshit, and I want no part of it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that our next unit is more organized, and more family-oriented.