Friday, June 09, 2006

Go Geno's!!

If you are from the Delaware Valley, you know that the 2 most famous cheesesteak joints in all of Philadelphia are Pat's and Geno's (Geno's site is down, so that's the Wikipedia link about Philly steaks), which are across the street from each other, and located very close to UPenn. (Personal side note, I prefer Jim's on South Street, or making my own, since my family owns a deli... I make a kick ass cheesesteak when the proper ingredients (Amoroso rolls, dammit!!) are at my disposal) Anyway, Geno's has implemented an English-only ordering policy. The owner's grandparents came to Philly from Sicily, and had to learn the language, so he feels that it is helping immigrants by pushing them to learn the native language of their new country. I couldn't agree more! The employees are NOT turning away non-English speaking customers, instead they are helping them learn to order in English. Now, that may seem like an insignifigant feat, after all it is just food, but it's a principle thing. They have a sign up that says "This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH". Go Geno's!!
Now, the one thing about the article that pisses me off is the way they claim Philadelphians order their steaks. I spent 16 years of my life in the Philly region, I learned to talk there. We have an accent, but it's seriously exaggerated by most accounts. I don't know anyone who really says "youse", and we certainly don't sound like that stupid Hardee's commercial. Anyway, while researching these links I've developed a serious craving, only to find out Jim's will ship steaks to you overnight, anywhere in the country. HOLY SHIT, that's awesome. I wonder if I can sell one of the kids to finance those steaks (minimum order is 4, plus $10 packing fee, and FedEx charges bring it to about $80 for 4 steaks... this is only worth it under extreme circumstances, like the fact that I haven't had one in 3 years, and N has never had the pleasure)