Monday, June 26, 2006

An update on the credit situation

The energy company in question called me back, and played a recorded conversation to see if I recognized the voice of the person who opened the account. Of course, I didn't (hard to tell when all the person had to do was say "Yes" in response to some questions), nor did I know the number they used. She said the number came back as a possible cell phone, but even the area code is one I've never heard of. I explained that I wouldn't respond to Mrs. (Ex's last name), which the rep on the recording used, and that since I was a military dependent, anyone who got their hands on my ID card could easily copy down my name, social, spouse's social, and my birthdate. This is one of the dangerous things about the ID that I have to carry everywhere, and show multiple times a day. She agreed to take the record off, and it will be removed from my credit report. I'm quite pleased with how quickly they got back to me, and this rep was much more considerate and helpful than the first one I spoke with. The funny thing is if I COULD have used that energy company when living in TX, I would have... I had way too many problems with TXU, and would have switched given the chance. So, all's well that ends well, I suppose, now I just need to keep a close eye on my credit reports.