Saturday, July 08, 2006

RIAA vs Band Preferences

Did I mention we're going to see Dave Matthews Band in August? Well, a little bit of background for those of you unfamiliar with DMB. They do not mind their fans recording their shows, and file sharing their music. They are against the whole RIAA "Sharing is stealing" thing, because they know that bands start out with word of mouth, and if it weren't for sharing most bands wouldn't ever get a record deal. DMB is obviously very successful, they tour nearly non-stop, and sell out huge arenas. Anyway, the dilemma is I want to tape the show, but I know that my camera will be confiscated if security catches it. DMB can say "Let our fans tape the show", but security and the area they are playing will stop the fans anyway. I'll have my cell, so I can take short voice clips, and pictures, but no video. Still, a quick search of my*space shows that it IS possible to sneak the cameras in, so how do these people pull it off?? I think I'd be more likely to risk it if we were sitting up close, but we're doing lawn seating. (I've seen them at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ, lawn seating, and Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, I prefer lawn seating for their shows.) Anyway, I may try to sneak in a handheld digital voice recorder, if nothing else. Damn recording industry nazis!!