Saturday, March 26, 2005

The freakin' Easter Bunny is coming!

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about Easter. Last Christmas was equally magical, since I didn't have the kids the year before, and this was the first real "Santa" experience we'd had with them. Now, in preparation of the EB's visit, I'm WAY stoked. I love encouraging the magic of these holiday creatures, and it's almost more exciting than it was when I was a child and believed myself. It's probably been 14 years or so since holidays were magical to me, and the flame has been rekindled now that I'm a mom. As a matter of fact, I saw a bunny hopping around my back yard the other night at 1am. I woke N from a dead sleep telling him "The Easter Bunny is early! He's hanging out right there! Come look!" He stumbled to the door, with much grumbling, and said "Take a picture". He wasn't amused. Anyway, I've been running around like an idiot, drunk on the excitement of watching the kids' first Easter egg hunt, and the beginning of new traditions. Since my family is so far away, I haven't had any family traditions in years. Nate's dad moved here last summer, and his mom will move down here in June. (She stayed behind so their youngest could grad high school in Indiana). We've been going to Opa's house on Sunday for NASCAR races, and BBQ in good weather. It's a nice family tradition for all of us, especially since N and I come from small towns where all our extended family was around in our childhood, and moving to a military town was a culture shock. Our new Easter Tradition is going to Oma and Opa's for breakfast, after they get back from church. (Practicing Catholics, and we are not) So... tomorrow we'll get up, the kids will stumble upon their baskets, and search for some eggs here. We'll then go to Opa's for a huge breakfast, and he'll dole out some grandparent spoils, and the kids will search for more eggs. Since there is no race tomorrow we'll hang out for a bit, then come home so N can take a nap before work. What are your Easter plans/traditions? Do you do anything special to perpetuate the "magic" of the Easter Bunny? I hope everyone in blogworld has a wonderful weekend!!