Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Un-Common Sense

Vacuum Watch status: Still vacuuming. 12:45pmCST

Christine reminded me of some childhood mishaps, with her daughter's pencil sharpener incident. I figured I'd share them with you, in case you needed a good laugh today.

A little background. My mom worked as a store manager for a large company in the northeast. She was there from the time I was an infant until early this year, she told me just before New Year's Eve 2004 that she was leaving the job.

Back in the late 1980s, they built a new store closer to our home, much larger, a big step up for her. This was HER store, she opened it, built the customer base, met my stepdad there, etc. When this store was first built we spent a lot of time there preparing for the grand opening. The day before the store opened, she took me with her to finish up some last minute things. She sat me down in her office, and probably told me to behave, color a picture, and not mess with anything. Well, my 5 year old self took that as "Play with all the things on Mommy's desk." Eventually I came across the stapler, which seemed like a fine device to explore. After stapling a few papers, probably an eraser or two, I decided to experiment. I wondered if the stapler could staple my thumb? I placed my little thumb, pad facing up, under the device, and pressed. Guess what?? Staplers DO staple skin!! Who knew? Needless to say, I screamed for Mommy, who came and bandaged me up in good Mommy fashion. I'm sure it was only two little pinpricks, but at the time I certainly thought I was dying. I'm sure she silently laughed, just as Christine did. After all, kids don't always use common sense.