Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Fact or Quack?

I went for my second visit with the chiropractor today. This was where we went over my Xrays, and discussed treatments. We're paying out of pocket for this care, since Tricare is still in the Dark Ages, and any "alternative" medicine is not covered. Well, after 6 months of excrutiating pain, and countless bottles of Motrin and Tylenol, I'd had enough with MDs, and booked a consult withthe chiro. Um, to put it mildly, my shit is fucked up. I have whiplash in my neck, pinched nerves in 4 different areas, arthritis in my cervical and lumbar disks, and a whole plethora of other things a 23 year old should not have.

When we went over the Xrays today, (N and I both went, so we could all discuss it) the doc said "Are you SURE you haven't had any traumatic injury? Falls, bad car accidents, that sort of thing? The damage and degeneration here is far too advanced to be just from normal wear." I was certain there were no incidents, until N said "What about car wrecks with your ex?" You see, my ex was not the most cautious driver, and had wrecked his car quite a few times during the first couple years of our relationship. I was all "Nope, I wasn't in the car for most of his wrecks, except one small fender bender, barely a tap really. OH.... SHIT! I was!! I was with him when he totalled his VW into the back of a Suburban. Ohmigod! How could I have forgotten about that?!"

It was totally bizarre to see the damage from an accident I had forgotten about. I never even saw a doc after that accident, I felt fine, save some bruises on my knees and head. All this time I've been in pain, and never would have thought about that (among other things) being the cause. So, anyway, the treatment is costly, since it's not covered by insurance, but I had my first realignment today, and felt like a whole new person. I honestly cannot remember the last time I could sit up straight without lower back pain, or turn my neck without a shot of pain down my side. That is totally worth every penny, but I still want to kick someone's ass at Tricare. They'd better be careful, a couple more alignments, and I might feel good enough to do it.